Pakistani government had no role in the Mumbai attacks, says Mahmud Ali Durrani.
NEW DELHI: Former Pakistan National Security Adviser Mahmud Ali Durrani has admitted that 2008 Mumbai terror attacks were carried out by a terror group based in Pakistan.
At the same time, Durrani, however, said the Pakistani government had no role in the Mumbai attacks.
Durrani was speaking at a conference on combating terrorism at the Institute of Defence Studies and Analysis in Delhi.
“26/11 Mumbai strike, carried out by a terror group based in Pakistan, was a classic trans-border terrorist event”, he added.
The former Pakistan NSA also hit out at JUD chief Hafiz Saeed.
“Hafiz Saeed has no utility, we should act against him,” Durrani said.
India had earlier this month asked Pakistan to reinvestigate the 2008 Mumbai terror attack case and put on trial Jammat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Saeed who is currently under house arrest in Lahore under the anti-terrorism law.
India had made the fresh demand in a reply to Pakistan’s request to send 24 Indian witnesses to record their statements in the case.
The Pakistan government on January 30 had put Saeed and the four leaders of JuD and Falah-e-Insaniat under house arrest in Lahore under the country’s anti-terrorism act.
Saeed, who carries a reward of $10 million, was also put under house arrest after Mumbai terror attacks in November 2008 but he was freed by court in 2009.
Courtesy: Times of India